Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Reknit Your Interior with Creativity

Are ya dragging? Inspiration down? Let creativity come to the rescue. Make life fun.

I know life is serious and you have a lot of work to do. Your family, career, church, home, and friends all demand your time. With the current craze of counting steps, time can be expressed in energy.

Roughly 2000 steps equal one mile when a stride length is approximately 2.1 to 2.5 feet. Obviously, those with longer legs takes fewer steps. If your friend can walk fast (100 steps a minute) and took 2000 steps, they would get 20 minutes of exercise in that mile. If you walk slow (60 steps a minute) you would get 33 minutes of exercise when you walk 2000 steps, or a mile. Me? With my two back surgeries, it would me four days to take 2000 steps if I tried to walk down the sidewalk for a quarter mile per day. Therefore...comparing your expenditure of energy with someone else isn't helpful. Everyone is different. The example is to show, once the maximum number of steps have been taken, the energy is spent. To recover, you may want to try your own form of creativity.

The rule of thumb is, if you're tired because you have been doing "mental" labor, you need some exercise. If you're tired because you've been doing "physical" labor, you need to rest. Inserting another element, relaxation, in preparation for sleep or recovery is helpful. So...add creativity.

Only you can decide what you find to be creative. My husband's idea of relation in going out to his workshop and creating something the older residents of the retirement community where he's the Chaplin can complete. It takes him back to the hours he spent with his grandfather in the workshop in their backyard . My friend, Margy, likes to read on a wide variety of topics. Some put puzzles together as a means of separating from the cares of the day. Some play computer games. while others create new ones. Men and women both enjoy rock climbing, weight lifting, or a swim at the Y. Sewing, needle art, Bible study, are all creative. While I'm writing, I take a break by opening several "Windows" at the bottom of the screen to put a few more pieces in a Jigidi puzzle, dash off to Facebook, or do a Google inquiry. We all "reknit our interior" in different ways. In order to relax and re-energize your body, save time for your personal form of creativity.

I write novels and to add to the fun, I often create an art object to go with a current book. With Tucker McBride, I made snaps to go with my snap earrings and necklace. I created the snaps by copying a portion of the cover and gluing that to the snap fronts. I wear the jewelry when I do a book signing of Tucker. In my newest novel, Just in Time, I describe a necklace on page 250. About six months ago I collected a cross, gold ring, and a chain, and had a jeweler connect them with a gold bail. What fun is that?!

I can't tell you which needle or screw driver to use to reknit your interior, but here's the result of my efforts to put my thoughts into a creative piece of jewelry.
.
 Find out what energizes you. Remember, it's a "doing" activity -  only you can decide what you'll be doing to relax and be creative. Anything from taking a walk to designing a garage that takes you out of the left, logical side of your brain, and into the right, the creative side,  will re-form your steps from dragging to energized, and inspire you to be positive and up-beat. Enjoy the creative moments you prefer.

Doris
Copyright 2020 Doris Gaines Rapp, Ph.D. 

No comments:

Post a Comment